Edward Anselm "Eddie" Kessler (played by Anthony Laciura) is Nucky Thompson's loyal assistant and valet. A German expatriate, he speaks English with a very thick accent. The character is based on the historical person Louie Kessel who was an assistant, bodyguard and driver to the real Nucky (Enoch L. Johnson).
Kessler was the somewhat hapless assistant of current city treasurer Nucky Thompson. As a German immigrant, he performed his duties as required, but routinely misunderstood or was misunderstood by his boss, as well as others. There was often an unintended comical after-effect of his best-of-intentions. Eddie was always on call and ready to provide Nucky with anything he may want or need, be it as common as a chauffeur, or something much more sinister. Interestingly, it was revealed that he carries a pistol, and was a decent shot with it. While under detention by federal agents Knox and Hoover, it was revealed that Kessler was once an assistant department store manager in Hanover, Germany. There was where he had carried on an affair with a girl who worked in the lingerie department. He embezzled a great deal of money and ran off with this girl (only for her to leave him within months), leaving behind his wife and two children. One of his children has changed his last name and has also had a child, thus, making Kessler a grandfather, Kessler was forced to reveal some information on Thompson's activities to the agents before they let him go, with the threat of deportation looming, should Kessler not come through on future requests.
- 主条目: Eddie Kessler Season 1
- 主条目: Eddie Kessler Season 3
- "It must be a schwartze word."
- Nucky: "You have pie in Germany, don't you?"
- Eddie: "We have strudel."
- "Nucky? Yes, he is nice. Mr. Thompson is a very nice man."
- "You told me to knock in a manly fashion."
- "I know what you mean. You want Schlampe."
- (to a Guardsman making an anti-German comment) "Asshole."
- "James Darmody is dead." ("The Pony")
- "Nucky. Nucky... There is a delivery." ("A Man, A Plan...")
- "I tend only to you. That is all I do. That is my life." ("Two Imposters")
- "Mr. Thompson is part of everything. He's in the sky and sea. He's in the dreams of children at night. He is all that there is, forever." ("Resignation")
| "New York Sour"
|| "Acres of Diamonds"
|| "All In"
|| "The North Star"
|| "William Wilson"
|| "The Old Ship of Zion"
| "Marriage and Hunting"
|| "White Horse Pike"
|| "Havre De Grace"
|| "Farewell Daddy Blues"